Common Fire Hazards in the Home

It’s important to protect your family by taking proper safety precautions and identifying all the possible fire hazards in your home. These home fire dangers might include cooking equipment, electrical equipment, candles and all kinds of other products. That said, there’s no reason to avoid using these things in your home. Just be careful when you are using them to avoid the dangers that come along with a home fire. Read on to learn about some of the most common causes of fires in the home.

Kitchen fire hazards

It’s extremely easy for a fire to start in the kitchen because of all the heating equipment. That’s why it’s important to avoid getting distracted while cooking. When distracted, you could easily turn a burner on too high, or even forget that it’s on at all. You might accidentally leave a rag or other flammable object near the stove. Be sure to stay focused while you’re cooking. It’s also important to make sure there’s a fire extinguisher nearby.

You should always avoid using water to put out a stove fire. Water will only cause grease fires to splatter and possibly spread. Instead, use a fire extinguisher or smother the fire with a pan top.

Candles and smoking

Whether you’re smoking after a long day or trying to relax with some scented candles, it’s important to properly extinguish these flames when you’re finished. Tossing a lit cigarette or leaving it on your porch could easily start a huge fire that engulfs your home. Be sure to properly dispose of your cigarettes and avoid spreading ash on any flammable materials.

Candles, meanwhile, are unfortunately very easy to knock over. Be sure to only keep your candles on a flat surface away from any flammable materials. You should also avoid leaving a room with a lit candle, even if you plan on returning quickly. A fire can start much faster than you might think.

Bad wiring

Bad wiring poses a home fire danger in too many households. There are certain signs that might signal bad wiring, including dimming lights and frequently blown fuses. If you notice any signs of faulty wiring, it’s best to contact an electrician right away. Let a professional diagnose the issue and make any necessary repairs. This could help prevent major fire damage to your home.

Heaters and other electrical equipment

As with most things mentioned above, it’s important to keep an eye on all your electrical equipment. Don’t leave that space heater running while you aren’t in the room, as it could tip over and cause your carpet to catch on fire. It’s also important to avoid using your space heater near any furniture, blankets or curtains.

Additionally, something as simple as a frayed wire could cause an electrical fire. If any of your electrical equipment has frayed wires, stop using it. It’s also important to avoid overloading your outlets by plugging too many things in at one time.

It’s easy to prevent these common home fire causes as long as you take proper safety precautions. Be sure to look out for all the fire hazards mentioned above. If you’re looking for top-quality fire safety supplies, contact Raider Fire Protection today.